The talks between the Yankees and Derek Jeter aren’t going especially smoothly so far, and I thought it’d be an appropriate point for followup discussion on the heels of last night’s post about Brad Childress’ firing and Brett Favre’s unsavory role in that dismissal.
Like Favre, Jeter’s hubris is well on its way to surpassing his actual on-field value. He’s apparently going into these dealings with a chip on his shoulder the size of the Golden Nugget, in the words of Jay-Z, and frankly, that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, not to mention it’s unbecoming of a guy who has literally managed every aspect of his career so perfectly.
A while back, I crafted what I thought would be the perfect resolution for both sides: A two-year deal worth $40 million. It would allow Jeter to collect his 3,000th hit in pinstripes while setting the stage for a two-year farewell tour and a graceful exit. For the Yankees, they wouldn’t have to fumble with the idea of shoving their star out the door, and for Jeter, he’d have to swallow his pride a bit and cede the New York stage to A-Rod, but he’d always have the satisfaction of knowing that he finished his career nobly, without aging beyond recognition or holding his beloved organization (and some of its fans) hostage.
I’d say that the Yankees probably stand to gain from a deal like the one I’ve laid out here more than Jeter does, but if I go back to the Favre point (about sullying an otherwise great career with some latter-year nonsense), it makes a whole lot of sense for a guy who built his legend on timing, grace, subtlety and character.
View the Original article
No comments:
Post a Comment